Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

4.04.2018

Recipe Reviews! Monster Cookies

This week's Recipe Reviews are all about Monster Cookies!!
I have not made Monster Cookies in ages. My brother-in-law recently made, and sent us, some of his special Monster Cookies. After getting his recipe, I decided to dig out all of the Monster Cookie recipes that I had (there were five) and compare them. Two of the recipes were exactly alike, and the rest all had something different, be it an amount or an ingredient.
I decided to make all four different recipes, have a group of people do a blind tasting (not knowing which cookie came from who's recipe), and take a vote for the best cookie. That happened just yesterday; I had five people (four adults, one child) taste and vote for the best Monster Cookie.
My disclaimers for this event: I only made a 1/4 batch of each recipe (and they still made over two dozen cookies each!!). I followed the recipes exactly while using the alterations from the people that gave me the recipes. I formed the dough ball sizes according to the recipe instructions (using the ice cream scoop when it called for it!).

The Final Products
Now, for the different Monster Cookie recipes!

Recipe A
This recipe comes from my brother-in-law, Sherman, and I used his personal alterations to the recipe that are: creamy peanut butter, molasses, peanut butter M'n'Ms.
The major differences: uses molasses, creamy peanut butter, and peanut butter M'n'Ms.
MY Honest Review: This cookie is a bit chewier, and not as crunchy and textured as the rest. Using creamy peanut butter, I believe, makes a huge difference in this cookie. I do think the use of peanut butter M'n'Ms adds another level of peanut-buttery-ness to this cookie. The color of this cookie is also darker, which I attribute to the use of molasses.
The Vote: Tied for 3rd Place.

Recipe B
This is the Monster Cookie recipe that I grew up eating, and it came from a good friend and neighbor of my family.
The major differences: does not use molasses or corn syrup.
MY Honest Review: This is the Monster Cookie taste I remember from being a kid. I didn't really have any other great revelations about this cookie.
The Vote: 1st Place

Recipe C
This recipe was in one of my cookbooks.
The major differences: uses corn syrup, Reese's pieces, and walnuts.
MY Honest Review: This cookie had a subtle, different flavor about it that I attribute to the use of walnuts. It was good, but not my favorite.
The Vote: Tied for 3rd Place

Recipe D
This Monster Cookie recipe was what Jason grew up with, and came from his Mom's cookbook.
The major differences: takes more eggs, uses corn syrup, and coconut. (It says nuts are optional, but Jason's mom said she never added them, so I made it true to her method.)
MY Honest Review: This cookie also had a subtly different flavor that came from the coconut. While I thought it was good, it was not my favorite. This cookie, though, is Jason's #1 choice, even in the blind tasting.
The Vote: 2nd Place

For myself, personally, I tried to taste and cast votes, but I was too "cookied" out. I found things that I liked about each one, but couldn't name a favorite. Recipe D is staying in our collection for sure, as it is Jason's favorite. The other recipes- since I had so much dough, and froze most of it, I may try tasting again in a few weeks; then I will decide if any other recipe will be staying in our collection.

I hope you enjoyed this little recipe comparison. I will admit that I had a lot of fun doing this, and may do it again in the future with other recipes. Let me know if you would be interested in other recipe comparisons!

4 comments:

  1. Sherman says that his didn't win because he didn't make them lol! Now I want to make the recipe from home to see what I think of it. I remember having Monster Cookies growing up, (I think they're Luke's favorite, along with Molasses Cookies) but it must not have been often enough to make an impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherman might be right! Since he didn't give me all of his recipe secrets, I'm now sure that I did not make them just like he does!

      Delete
  2. My magical trick to the home recipe is to sub 1 cup of flour for 1 cup of oatmeal. I did this accidentally once and the cookies turned out so amazing!! Before they were always thin, crispy, overbaked-like discs. The little bit of flour really makes them a nice chewy cookie but doesn't mess with the overall texture. I think Rachel and Sally use this trick now as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I remember the Monster Cookies going flat at home, but I never had the problem here! They turned out just fine without adding flour, but now I'm curious what they might be like with adding flour. I may have to make some more!! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!