Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

4.19.2020

Dads & Daughters

 My Reading Reviews: Dads & Daughters, Authored by: Dr. James Dobson

**This book review was started in the fall of 2018 and I never finished it until now.**

Dr. James Dobson is a fairly well-known Christian author and psychologist. He is probably most well known for the organization that he founded in 1977, Focus on the Family, as well as various radio shows that he has had. Dr. Dobson has written a plethora of books on a variety of topics relating to family, marriage, kids, etc. This book was given to Jason from his parents shortly before Little Pumpkin was born. Getting Jason to read a book that is not for school, a Star Wars novel, or a literary classic, pretty much doesn't happen. I almost begged him to at least try to read this book. Just because I didn't think it could hurt anything, and maybe he could learn something that would be helpful down the road. The other month, when I was trying to stay on track with my "read a book a month" program, I needed a short book to read. So I decided to read this one. I figured not only might it contain useful information for Jason as a dad, but that I could quite possibly learn something, too.

This short book is a compilation of short excerpts from Dr. Dobson's book, Bringing Up Girls. It is written in almost a devotional-type format that would be easy to read one a day for about a month. It has 27 "readings," if you will, each relating to as specific topic. The flow of the book kind of starts with topics relating to the younger years, and progresses through the growing up years. There are even some topics that I think can relate to parenting in the adult years.

(April 19, 2020) As I come back to finish this long-past-started book review of mine, I cannot remember a lot about this book. I don't think it was that earth-shattering for me. It wasn't a bad book at all, but I think for me it was about so-so. I actually just tried to find this book to re-acquaint myself with it so that I could do a better job of finishing this review. And, I can't find it! I am pretty sure we still have some of our books packed up from moving last year, and I didn't exhaust my search options tonight.

On that note, I don't feel like I can say "yes" or "no" as to whether I would highly recommend this book. I know some people really like Dr. Dobson's writings, and other people not so much. I would say if you are looking for a quick, easy, kind of devotional-type read regarding the Biblical daddy-daughter relationship, than check this book out. Otherwise, maybe you should go find his original Bringing Up Girls book.

How about you? Have you read either of the books mentioned here - Dad's & Daughters, or Bringing Up Girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!