Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

6.26.2018

I've Been to Branson...

A few years ago, I wrote this post, "I've Been to Jackson..." about a spontaneous road-trip that I did with my friends, Brittany and Shannon. This trip to Branson, Missouri that I'm sharing today wasn't a road-trip with Brittany and Shannon, but a vacation with Jason's family. In trying to come up with a clever title, however, "Branson" rhymed with "Jackson".....the Johnny Cash song came to mind......and I came up with, "I've Been to Branson...look out Branson-town!"

It was the first week of April for the family group vacation, and we left on Sunday after church. I think everyone was hoping for nice weather, but on the drive south we ran into freezing rain, snow, and just general gray, cold, overcast skies. Driving into the Big Cedar Lodge resort area where we were staying, everything just looked cold and gray. Not really the type of weather we were hoping for, especially as Jason and I had wanted to check out some of the hiking and outdoor activities that Branson is supposed to have.

Jason's family had all gotten there ahead of us and did all the check-in stuff, so we met them at Taco Bell where they were having dinner to get our room keys and such. Not much happened that first evening besides letting Little Pumpkin run around after the long car-ride, and unloading our luggage and accoutrements.
Everyone did go to Grandpa and Grandma's room for the handing out of Easter Baskets.
She was hamming it up with her new sunglasses!

In addition to a bedroom and bathroom, our room had a little living room and kitchenette area.

As well as this large "spa" area with the large sink and counter along with a Jacuzzi tub.

The view outside of our little balcony area on Monday.

Brushing teeth after breakfast before going to meet Aunt Jessica's family at the indoor pool.

On Tuesday, Jason and his Dad had rented a pontoon boat to go fishing. Turned out that it was the coldest morning of the week. I think it was about 35 degrees when we went out - great fishing weather! Jason had his first experience at driving a boat!

While the boat was stopped to fish, Pumpkin took over the wheel. I had brought blankets for her, but she refused to keep them on.

Grandpa and Grandma had given all the grand-kids toy fishing poles, so Jason tried to help her use hers. I'm not sure if it worked very well.

The boat was only rented for two hours, which was quite long enough for all the kids. Unfortunately, none of the adult fisherman caught any fish for supper!

I forget which day we went out and I found this coffee shop. I wanted to splurge and treat myself to a nice coffee. This place had pretty good coffee, and we went back a second time for Jason to get his "froo-froo" coffee - just straight black drip coffee. 😄

One evening, Jason's parents really wanted to keep Little Pumpkin, so Jason and I went down to the Plaza (I think that's what it was) and just walked around. We went into a couple of stores (a kitchen gadget store, a moonshine distillery that gave out samples (I never would've thought!!), and a candy store), and I tried to take some cool photos of the fountain display at night.

I had one really good photo besides these two, but sadly I didn't center it well, so it's not "photographically correct," I don't think.

These petunias (I think - not real good with flowers) would look different colors depending on the colors from the light-show spotlights. The flowers were originally yellow, but would look orange, purple, and blue. It was really pretty to see in real life.

One of the two touristy things we did in Branson was to "Ride the Ducks!" It is a tour of Branson given aboard an imitation of the old amphibious land/sea boats, or trucks - not sure which, that were made and used during World War II. The correct name of the "Duck" was DUKW. (www.bransonducks.com)

 These machines really can go in the water!

Part of the road tour took us through an area that is set up with lots of old military equipment.

Jason enjoys seeing things like this, and wished that the tour could've actually stopped so people could get out and walk around to look at all of the equipment instead of just driving past.

Jason and his little adventure buddy.

Part of the "on water" tour was for the driver to make as big of a splash as possible when putting the Duck into the water. The driver kindly left the windows covered for that as it was still a bit chilly out.

While on the water, the driver (actually, a Captain) let the kids take a turn driving the Duck. He kindly let me take Pumpkin up there just for fun. She didn't really know what to do and just kept a serious eye on the Captain.

Shortly before we exited the water, we got to see another Duck tour enter, and drive about, the water.
I will end our Branson vacation here, but there is one other tourist attraction that we went to check out while on vacation in Branson. Stay tuned for that post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!