Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

7.06.2018

Product Review: Diaper Rash Ointment

Little Journey Diaper Rash Ointment
Skin Protectant - Maximum Strength

About the Product: Little Journey is a brand of baby care products that is distributed by ALDI Inc. If you are familiar with the Aldi store, than you know what that is. (More details on the Aldi store can be found here.) This specific diaper rash ointment challenges you to compare it to
Desitin's Maximum Strength diaper paste. I only had the Desitin Rapid Relief on hand, but I still compared it!! The Little Journey brand touts that it is 40% zinc oxide and paraben free. In comparing Little Journey Maximum Strength to Desitin Rapid Relief, they both have the active ingredient of zinc oxide- Little Journey just has more. Both brands say they are paraben free, but the Desitin brand also claims to be fragrance free- Little Journey has "fragrance" listed in the inactive ingredients. For inactive ingredients, they share some of the same things - beeswax, petrolatum, sorbitan sesquioleate, tocopheryl acetate, and glycerin. Little Journey also contains cod liver oil, lanolin, and Zea mays (corn) starch. (Desitin also contains different additional ingredients, but this review is about Little Journey Diaper Rash Ointment.) I did find it interesting to note that the packaging specifically notes that Little Journey is NOT manufactured or distributed by Johnson & Johnson. I tried to locate the manufacturer for Aldi's Little Journey Diaper Rash Ointment, and the closest I could figure out was that it may possibly be Vi-Jon.

Why I Chose This Product: I was recently getting some groceries at Aldi's and Desitin was on my list for Wal-Mart. I had looked at the Little Journey Diaper Rash product on a previous visit, but didn't want to deal with the repercussions of bum rash if it didn't work for Little Pumpkin. On this visit, though, I decided that for the cost, I would just try it and see what happened. You don't know if you don't try, right?

Cost: $1.99 for a 4 ounce tube (113 grams)

Use: Well, in case you didn't know, it's grease for sore bums. As it turned out, Little Pumpkin was suffering from a bit more than normal case of diaper rash when I purchased this tube. I was anxious to see if this Little Journey brand would clear it up as fast as Desitin has. My normal bum grease protocol is to use it after every dirty diaper and for bedtime, and to use Vaseline after every wet diaper. If she has a sore bum starting (which usually starts when this protocol is not followed for a day), we use bum grease every time until it goes away. Thankfully, this method, and frequent bathing/sitz baths, has worked well for Pumpkin and we have had very little issue with sore bums.

Conclusion: We have been using this product for about two weeks now. The first thing I have noticed is that the consistency is different than my usual Desitin; it's a bit more sticky though it still smears well. It also has a slightly different scent - maybe not as medicinal? This Little Journey brand of bum grease did not clear up Pumpkin's sore bum quite as fast as I expected. It did work, but it took a little bit longer. We have not had a legitimate sore bum since it cleared up, but there have been a few times that we were on the verge of a sore bum. In those instances, I increased the usage of Little Journey Diaper Rash Ointment and that seemed to ward off the potential sore bum. 

Would I recommend this product? I don't think I would recommend Little Journey Diaper Rash Ointment. But, every kid is different and some may have tougher bums than Pumpkin. I would say that if your child gets sore bums easily, than don't use Little Journey. If your child rarely has issues with a sore bum and you don't have to use grease all the time, than Little Journey would probably be worth a try. I personally wouldn't get it for my newborn or young infant. Since Little Pumpkin is older, and will hopefully be transitioning to potty-training later this year, I may continue to use this as I hope to need less and less of it as she grows. I will still be keeping Desitin on hand for if a sore bum arises.

Feedback: What diaper rash creams/ointments have worked well for your kiddos?

*I, nor A Journey Thru Pictures Blog, was paid, sponsored, reimbursed, or given free product in exchange for this review.*

2 comments:

  1. We used Desitin and Vaseline for our first with only a time or two needing to use "fresh air treatment." With our 2nd, once she would get sore it was almost impossible to clear up. I tried a wide variety of brands and strengths, and quickly realized that the rash followed the surface application of whatever cream we were using! I made a list of the various brands (I think 6ish?) and took it to our pediatrician and asked what in the world COULD I use to clear up rash. He immediately recommended Calmoseptine ointment, which is only available over the counter at pharmacies (but can be ordered on Amazon). I forget what the ingredient difference is in the Calmoseptine, but it does not have the one ingredient that every other cream has. (It may be the zinc.) I ditched Desitin. Calmoseptine works really quickly so I stay with that for each baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I have never heard of Calmoseptine. It would be interesting to know what that one ingredient is that caused an issue for your kiddos. Thanks for the information!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!