Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

10.01.2013

The Hippie Road Trip...

   Earlier in September, I went on a road trip with Jake, Brittany, and Justin, to Flagstaff, Arizona. The main purpose of this trip was to attend the Pickin' in the Pines bluegrass festival. The other main purpose was to go climbing in Moab, Utah. (Just an FYI: if you're ever on a road trip with Jake, it is guaranteed that there will be climbing at some point.) Jason was unable to go with us due to work, and I was unemployed at the time which gave me lots of free time. No dogs were allowed on this trip because the car was already full, plus they weren't allowed at the festival. And now we begin the journey I called "The Hippie Road Trip!"
    It all started on Wednesday morning. I packed up myself, my camping gear, Gunther, and Gunther's overnight bag for his extended stay with Salem's grandparents. I mosied over the summit to help pack the travel car, and to go with Justin to take the dogs to his parents. Salem and Gunther were in heaven being able to spend 6 days on a farm! I felt really bad for the parents, though, having to put up with those two together for that long!!! After the 2.5 hour round trip to deliver dogs, we got everyone together, the car packed, and food to eat. It had been raining all day and the plan was to drive west out of the rain and end up in Moab at about midnight. Great plan, but it didn't work. We drove thru hard rain pretty much the entire way to Utah, took turns driving, and ended up in Moab about 3am. It was to late to find a campground (and kind of pointless at that time) so we parked in a supermarket parking lot and proceeded to try and sleep in the car. 

The little Honda Civic car.
Those that believed they could sleep sitting up got the front seats. Those that felt like they needed a little more space got the back seat. It was an experience, to say the least!

 Brittany was not pleased after her night of sleep.
   After trying to sleep for about 3 hours, we finally got up about 6 or so. We waited a little bit for the supermarket to open so we could use the facilities. Brit and I took advantage of the opportunity to brush our teeth with running water. (There was a sign in the restroom that said, "Public showers are located at such and such a place. Please do not shower here," or something close to that!)  After that, we all got much needed coffee and headed down the road to Indian Creek for climbing.


And this is what we were going to be climbing...

Supercrack!

Brit representing the hippies at the first climb.

And Jake almost to the top. It wasn't a tall climb, this one.

And on to the second climb. This one was a doozy!

 Jake leading up at the crux of the climb...

...and anchoring in at the top of the pitch.

Sometimes the coming back down is the worst part for me, but Jake looks pretty relaxed.

 Justin took a turn on this tough climb.

Although he struggled with this part, he did make it to the top.

And then it was my turn. Scary.

Tying in and wondering why on earth I am going to attempt this.

 It took a while for me to get going and I ended up doing a combination of hand and toe jams...

...and lie-backing.

There may have been some brute strength involved at times as well.

 Jake, who was belaying me, looks positively bored. I admit, I made really slow progress.

Once I made it to this point, I quit. There was no way I was going to attempt that slight overhang.

And that about sums up the climbing part of the trip.
Just a few random photos from this part...


The lovely Brit and I.
These next photos I just find amusing. Hopefully you do, too.




   Look for the sequel to this post soon to come!

3 comments:

  1. What is the "hand (or finger?) and toe jamming" you refer to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand and toe jams are mainly used for crack climbing. A hand jam is where you stick your hand in the crack with your palm and backside of hand facing either side of the crack. For a small crack, you then press your fingers against one side of the wall and the back of your hand against the other and use the opposing pressure as a hold. Or, for a bigger crack, you make a fist which wedges into a hold. A toe jam is where you either just wedge your foot straight into the crack, if it's big enough, or for a small crack, you turn your foot on edge and stick your toe(s) in and then turn it back flat as much as you can. (It can be pretty painful and sometimes bloody.) If you look if up online, you will probably find a better explanation as well as photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that last picture! Lucy, you live way too torturous of a life! All that travel and no sleep and no decent sleeping conditions! I would have been coming home in a hearse, I'm sure! You are one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!