Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

9.08.2013

30:37

   Early this spring, Jason and I said we were going to do a 5k this summer and that we were going to make each other train for it. Well, that didn't exactly happen. I think I may have run two or three times since April and only for 1 mile or less. But, in August I decided that I was going to run the Freedom 5k that was in 2 weeks. I had seen the run advertised at the park a few times and that Friday I just decided to do it. My reasoning was that if I never signed up for a 5k, I would never actually run. So I went and registered and thus began my two weeks of training to be able to run 3.2 miles all at once.
   Three times a week, I'd go out after taking Gunther for his run (which I rode a bicycle for) and walk about 1 1/2 miles to the park. The first time, I set my iPod to go 1 mile and then I ran, slowly as it may be, around the park for a little beyond my goal. Each time, I'd set the distance a little further, and each time, I'd make myself go beyond the goal. I had it figured out that I needed to gain a quarter of a mile with each run in order to be even close to running 3 miles in 2 weeks. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, I almost made it. My last run before the big day was 2.71 miles and for both weeks, I was averaging 12 minute miles. (That's really pathetic, by the way.) I have to say, after the first couple runs, I wondered why I was even doing it as my legs hurt a lot and my knees seemed to protest each night. But for the most part, it got somewhat better as the two weeks passed.
   The Saturday of the 5k arrived and I got up at 6am and rode my bike down to where the race was being held. I got my goodie bag of stuff and waited for the race to start. The race was to start at 8, but there was a pre-race ceremony and stuff going on. I felt kind of weird as a lot of
people were running with someone, or were in a group. But I had determined to see it thru no matter what. Finally they were ready to start and everyone herded into the starting area. And then it started. People took off running; some fast, some medium, some slow. I started down the road and just kept telling myself, "Slow and steady wins the race," over and over. And I tried to focus on my breathing and not the people passing me. About a kilometer into the run I started getting a few leg cramps, but not very bad. And at that point, I was seeing other people stop running and just walk, so I didn't feel like such a lame duck anymore. I continued running and the cramps went away and I just tried to maintain my breathing and tell myself to just keep running until the end. Don't stop.
   And I didn't stop. I managed to run the entire course and was the 167th person to finish. According to the race clock, I finished at 30 minutes, 37 seconds. When I got to that point, my legs were hurting, my head was pounding, I was dripping sweat, and all I could think was: "I never want to do this again!"

   My free t-shirt for running. (Imagine a big smiley face here!)
   After I had drank some water and walked around a while, I realized it wasn't that bad. (I do believe I sweated more than anyone else there, however.) I hung around for the awards ceremony to see if I had won a door prize - I knew I didn't win any of the running times. There were some folks there that ran it in under 20 minutes. And there was a little girl, no more then 9 years old, that was in the top 3 runners for the 15 and under age group. I thought that was impressive. Anyways, when it was all said and done, I was quite proud of myself for actually sticking with it and completing the run. And I am planning to run another 5k in both October and November. This might seem kind of crazy, but I have this goal of getting up to running a half-marathon within the next 2 years. I'm not sure that I'll ever make it to a full marathon, but the half seems more realistic. So I guess I'll continue running three times a week for a while.

   **I would just like to note that Jason had planned a climbing trip with his friends for this very same day. So after I finished the run, I went climbing with them and actually completed 3 climbs. I was pretty darn pooped and my legs and knees were complaining quite loudly by the end of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I just found this post! This is so impressive! I would love to run. I have never run a mile in my life. I'm sure my ol' body is not up to it. Just the treadmill and biking in the basement for 30 minutes taxes my joints. However, I'm trying to figure out how to get Paul and Hannah into running. I think they need good exercise. Maybe I'll start running with them some time, and then at some point I'll have to let them run longer and further without me. Anyway, good job, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!