Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

2.24.2013

Call Me Susie Homemaker...

...or whatever you want, but I am ecstatic over what I have done these last two weekends. Or more specifically, what I have done today. But, I'll start with last weekend.

   Jason is gone for about 14+ hours every single day of the weekend, so I have lots of alone time for me, myself, and I. Typically I do the laundry, clean, and make food each weekend, as well as work on projects and try new things. And most of the time, I have whatever project/new thing finished, cleaned up and put away before Jason gets home. This past weekend, besides the normal stuff, and picking up my Bountiful Basket, I decided to try and make pasta. Aunt Verna gave us this nifty pasta roller and cutter for our wedding and we have both been wanting to try it out.

I had put off making pasta in the past because I knew it would be an all-day project. But last weekend, even though it was later in the day, I
decided to attempt it. I think it was because I wanted Jason to make spaghetti later that week, and we didn't have any pasta in the cupboard. So I followed the Egg-less Pasta recipe in the little book and began the process.
First, I rolled a couple strips and laid them out to "rest" for a few minutes.

After they rested, I ran them thru the spaghetti cutter and hung them to dry on the noodle drying rack. (Which ended up being a spare curtain rod that I propped between the counter and the microwave.)

It was quite the cycle: roll 2 strips, cut a strip, hang it to dry, un-hang the dried noodles, and repeat. Since my noodle drying rack was all of 2 1/2 feet wide, there was a lot of down time while waiting for the noodles to dry. After they had dried enough that they weren't gooey, yet they weren't brittle, I would gather them up and put them in a Ziploc bag. For some reason though, after they would go into the bag, they would "un-dry" and became gooey again. I don't know why, as I left the bag wide open the entire time. Anyways, I was about 4 strips from the end when Jason came home that night and he walked into the kitchen and said, "You're making pasta?! But I want to make pasta, too!!!"

   My other big accomplishment was drying all of the fresh herbs that I had gotten in our Bountiful Basket. We weren't going to be using them right away and I wasn't having any luck keeping them fresh. So I have now increased my supply of oregano, rosemary, and parsley!

 
   Now for this weekend. Yesterday, I made pizza and cheesy garlic bread for Jason to bake when he came home, as I was going to be gone. We used our pizza stone from Grandma F. for the first time. The pizza stuck really badly, so I need to figure out why. I also made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake with our second fresh pineapple. (Those pineapples were delicious!) And then I went to the Symphony for the evening. It was great! If you have never gone to hear a symphony orchestra, I would highly recommend trying it.
    Now for today. Today is the day I am ecstatic about what I did. If you remember, I got a coconut head in my Bountiful Basket last week. I was trying to figure out what to make for supper tonight and I looked online for Thai stir-fry recipes that take coconut milk and ginger. Then I looked up how to make coconut milk and proceeded to work on that project. I am very curious as to who wrote those instructions, though, as they say to "take a sharp knife and pierce the eyes of the coconut." I'm not sure what kind of knife they have, but none of my knives are going to put a dent in a coconut head! And I don't want to ruin my $100 knife trying! So I went with the old-school method of a hammer and nail and that worked great. Then came the part of digging the meat out of the coconut. Is there an easier way to do it then the way I did? I now have a curved knife blade in my kitchen from trying to pry the meat away from the shell. Anyways, after a long period of digging, I had all the meat off the shell and I was ready to make my coconut milk.
    While I was in the process of actually making the milk, I forgot that the recipe was for 2 coconuts, and that I was only using 1. Thus, I probably ended up with a weak version of coconut milk. But after I strained the milk with my home-made cheesecloth (which was a white handkerchief ) I wondered what are you supposed to do with the remains? That's when I decided to dump it out on a cookie sheet and see if it could be used as shredded coconut. And guess what? That is exactly what it is!!! So I now have 2 over-flowing pints of coconut milk in my fridge and about 2 cups of shredded coconut in the freezer!

The main reason I am so ecstatic over my coconut experience is that I have always bought coconut milk to make Thai dishes with. And just today, I had put shredded coconut on my grocery list so that I could make granola sometime soon. But now, I don't have to buy either one for a while!!! (And after the painful experience of digging out coconut meat, I am just happy that I have something good to show for it!)

   So what's my project for next weekend? Probably taxes.

3 comments:

  1. What about a vegetable peeler for removing the rind from the coconut meat? I don't know if that would work or not. I think at home we grated it off, but that takes a looooong time. How long will the coconut milk keep in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, I am jealous of your Bountiful Basket. Enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are one hard-working cook! I'm impressed! One of these days (in another decade, maybe?) I want to make some pasta. As for the coconut, they can be real work! The way I do mine is to drain it, then crack off the wooden part with a hammer. Then, I peel off the thin brown skin with a vegetable peeler, and then grate the rest in the food processor. I'm not sure how you did yours, but I don't think my method would be any harder.

    Enjoy the great food! And get all your recipes perfected so when we come to visit we can dine at the Williams' in style!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!