Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

3.17.2013

"WOW! What a ride!"

Earlier this week, my friend Brittany gave me this quote:
   "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW! What a ride!'" -Hunter S. Thompson.

    After mulling it over for a few days, I have started thinking that maybe we should all look at life in that context. I'm not saying that you should throw all caution to the wind and do whatever hairbrained idea pops into your head, or eat your way into an early grave. However, it might bode us well to lose some of our super-cautious, strict, penny-pinching ways and actually enjoy life. Such as trying new things, eating different foods, or whatever things you have never done because it would be considered "frivolous," or a "waste of time," or "maybe I'll break a leg." In light of that, I think that over the last week Jason and I have been enjoying life. Here are a few examples of our (or my) lifestyle that might help us to "skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke" into our graves.


Grilled Lobster Tails. Yep, they are going to send us to the grave "thoroughly used up."
Seriously though, I almost never buy seafood because I think it's too expensive. However, we both love it and sometimes eat it at restaurants. So when I saw these guys on sale, I decided that I was going to fork over the money to get them. I also determined that buying and cooking seafood at home probably costs about 50% less then going out to a restaurant to eat seafood. Same with the Buffalo Burgers that I made about a month ago. (I know there's a huge difference between seafood and buffalo, but it was the same money idea.)

Grilled Pork Ribs. I had the same thoughts about these ribs on sale as I did about the lobster. So why not get them and enjoy them to the fullest?

This line-up was the bulk of the ingredients for the rib sauce. And yes, some of that stuff is expensive (like the honey, soy sauce, and whiskey; the wine was cheap) but I have found that most recipes don't call for cups and cups of these ingredients. Usually just a tablespoon or two. So guess what? I don't have to buy it very often, so is it really that expensive?

The ribs in the sauce just before going on the grill. I wish I had an "after" picture, because it looked more appealing when it was finished. Also, I was sure that was to much sauce for just those couple of ribs. But after an hour of grilling, the sauce reduced down to about 1/3 to 1/4 of that amount. And let me tell you, those ribs were to sooooo good! I have never had ribs that good in a restaurant. And we had leftovers. To eat this in a restaurant would've probably cost us 3 times as much as it did to buy them on sale at the supermarket and make them at home. So I think I'll give up arriving at my grave "safely in a pretty and well-preserved body" with my money stuffed into a mattress somewhere.

New snowboard boots. This one could send me to an early grave. (I'm still trying to get Jason back into them.) 
I already owned a pair of boots (the white ones), but after trying out a better quality of boots in the right size and feeling the difference, I decided it was okay to spend the money to buy the better ones. I hope to purchase a board and bindings this week, too. (It helps that these items are on sale for probably 75% off!)

Also, snowboarding would seem to be either a frivolous use of money or a dangerous sport. However, it is fun. A lot of fun. So why not have some fun? And I have to say, other then bruising my tailbone severely multiple times (such that it still hurts on occasion just from sitting) and my knees screaming at me the day after each time, I have never injured myself snowboarding.
So maybe I will arrive at my grave "totally worn out," but I hope I'll be saying, "Wow! What a ride!"

3 comments:

  1. I like that quote! My problem is, my body is threatening to be "all used up" long before the ride is over!! Yikes! Anyway, I know the principles you are striving to live by more. Especially now that I am watching the chapters of infanthood and babyhood close in my life *sniff*, I am looking harder at the bigger picture and trying to do/let my kids do the things that they'll have great fun at or remember fondly rather than always keeping the toys picked up and in order, or always doing what "needs" to be done. Eat a little more Campbell's chicken noodle soup, a few more chicken patties from the freezer, and play out in the snow longer, or relax and have fun longer, etc. Leave the wash unfolded for a week in order to use that time to sew birthday dresses. A few things like that that really, in the big picture, won't matter if they are delayed a week (if I can keep from losing my mind while they are in delay!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I focus more on a different "big picture," but I would love to be able to do all of those things. I'm trying to not get hung up on "saving money for the future," but its sooo hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reply to Katie, I can't stress how important it is to "save up for the future", especially if you have big, future plans (like a house/land). But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy life now. Just do it in moderation and pace yourself with how much you spend on the "now" pleasures. Daniel and I ate out a lot (at an inexpensive place) the first year we were married. It was fun, but looking back I wish we had been more wise with our money so we could be further ahead now.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!