Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

5.31.2018

Product Review: Getty Kids Hymnal - For the Cause

Getty Kids Hymnal - For the Cause
Getty Music

About the Product: In case it isn't obvious, this is a music CD. Getty Music is a music label created by Keith and Kristyn Getty from Ireland. They are known for their modern hymn-writing and re-inventing of traditional hymns. You can learn more about Getty Music, and what they do, at their website, www.gettymusic.com. This specific CD, For the Cause, is marketed towards younger kids and includes multiple children's choirs from around
the world on the recording. While it seems obvious that the CD is of the church hymn genre, it is most definitely not just your traditional church hymns sung in traditional church hymn style. Many of the songs carry a definite Celtic feel in the music, but the composers and musicians have done a great job of creating variety even within that style. There are other songs that carry a strong cultural feel from other parts of the world, including African rhythms and vocalizing, Spanish guitar, and such. A couple of the songs also include a verse, or two, sung in the Hindi or Spanish language. This CD comes with a small booklet that includes the words to each song. 

Why I Chose This Product: I saw this CD last year as I was Christmas shopping, and even though I knew nothing about Getty Music, at some point I had heard my sister mention the names, "Keith and Kristyn Getty." I was intrigued by the CD cover and broke down and bought it this spring. I believe it has become Little Pumpkin's favorite CD to listen to at this point.

Cost: $11.99 at LifeWay Christian Store

Use: It is a CD, so we obviously play it in a CD player either in the house or car. It is currently in our regular, everyday music selection that get's played at least twice a day. (We don't have many kids CD's in our collection yet...)
Conclusion: Not only does Little Pumpkin really like this CD, but I LOVE this CD. It is completely different from most all of the other kids music CD's that I have ever heard, and is definitely different from the other kids CD's that we currently own. As I mentioned above, the composers and musicians have done a great job of creating a variety of styles even within what I would consider a Celtic influenced style. Very few of the songs sound alike, and the variety of instrumentation that is used is amazing. The listing of instruments inside the cover include several of which I am not familiar, and there is one sound that is similar to an Australian didgeridoo. While many of the songs use lots of instrumentation, there are also some that are simple with just piano, guitar, and percussion. A lot of the songs are very up-beat- Pumpkin starts to dance as soon as she hears the CD start! In addition, the songs on this CD are not all your common, heard every Sunday growing up, hymns. There are some familiar songs, and there are some unfamiliar old, and new, hymns recorded on this CD.

Another aspect about this CD that I really appreciate is the variety of vocals that are used. It is not just kids singing in unison, and it is also not all four-part harmony. The producers have woven a variety of harmonies, kids voices, a few adult vocals, and even a cappella vocals throughout the songs. Like I said, Pumpkin and I both really like this CD!

Would I recommend this product? Ummm.....the answer is YES! I still don't know a whole lot about Getty Music, or the people behind it, but based on just this CD, I am a fan. There is another Getty Kids Hymnal CD that I would love to get, but haven't yet. I will say this, though: if you do not enjoy music from other cultures, or Christian hymns composed in a way that makes you want to dance and jig, than you may not like this CD as much as we do. There is one song in particular that carries a heavy African style including what I would consider some traditional vocalizing. As I said, if you do not appreciate, or enjoy, musical aspects from other cultures, than this might not be your favorite CD. But, I do highly recommend this Getty Kids Hymnal - For the Cause as a quality kids CD that even adults will enjoy!

Feedback: What types of music do your kiddos enjoy listening to, and do you enjoy it also?

*I, nor A Journey Thru Pictures Blog, was not reimbursed, paid, sponsored, or given free products for doing this review.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!