Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

5.10.2018

Product Review: Salad Spinner

Progressive Collapsible Salad Spinner

About the Product: As you probably already guessed, this is a salad spinner that is collapsible! And, just in case someone isn't familiar with salad spinners, it is a kitchen gadget used to drain as much water as possible from freshly washed greens by spinning- much like a washing machine spins
water out of wet laundry. This particular style of salad spinner is hand-wash only, and I'm not sure the lid should be submerged in water. The brand, Progressive, is a kitchen tool and gadget creator and manufacturer that distributes their products through many of the major retailers- both brick and mortar and online.
Why I chose this product: With the warmer/hotter weather we have been having, we are eating green salads more frequently and I am using my salad spinner. Jason knew I wanted a collapsible salad spinner, but he couldn't find one for my birthday a couple years ago. Instead he gave me just a regular, non-collapsing, salad spinner and said that if I found a collapsible one that I wanted, I could take the gift one back. 

Cost: I actually don't remember, but I'm guessing it was $20, or a little more.

Use: I have had this salad spinner for almost two years. We tend to use it more during the summer months, but occasionally over the winter, also. Obviously, I use this to drain my freshly washed greens- usually lettuce or spinach. I have also used it to drain berries, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and such. I typically do two pulls of the cord per basket of veggies. It does have a brake button on the top so you can slow it down, and bring to a stop, instead of having to wait for it to slowly stop on it's own. This particular salad spinner has a non-slip surface on the bottom of the outer bowl that keeps it from sliding away when you are trying to pull the cord. A side note: if we are eating lots of salads, I will just rinse and dry the lid and bowls in between meals, and wash with soap and water after a few days of use.

Conclusion: This particular salad spinner works ok, in my opinion. One downside that I have observed: the basket is about half solid surface, and half open strainer surface. Thus, I don't think it allows as much water to be drained from the greens as compared to a basket that is completely strainer surface. However, I think that the basket has to be part solid surface in order to collapse without breaking. I do like how compact this salad spinner becomes after collapsing, and that was one reason I purchased it. When in use, the salad spinner stands about 6" tall, and is about 11" wide. Collapsed, the salad spinner comes to about 2.5" tall. I also specifically like that the pull cord and braking mechanism are flush with the top of the lid instead of protruding out of the top adding more height to the lid.

Would I recommend this product to others? Interestingly enough, I don't think this specific style of collapsible salad spinner is available to purchase brand new anymore. You may be able to find it on a website like Amazon, but my quick search did not find this specific model. Whether I would recommend this product would depend on if you were looking to save storage space. If you really wanted a compact salad spinner, then I would recommend getting a collapsible one. But, just know that it may not get your salad greens as water-free as a non-collapsing salad spinner. If you were not concerned about saving storage space, I probably would not recommend this salad spinner.

Feedback: Do you currently use a salad spinner, and which would you say is more important: getting a drier salad green, or saving storage space?

*I, nor A Journey Thru Pictures Blog, was not reimbursed, paid, sponsored, or given free product for doing this review.*

10 comments:

  1. I have never used a salad spinner, and I'm pretty sure I don't own one. I honestly have no idea if I would use one if I had it.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted one because I refused to buy pre-cut salads. Just my personal food snob ways. If you buy pre-cut or already washed greens, then you don't really have a use for a salad spinner, I don't think.

      Delete
  2. If you want a REALLY compact spinner, use a laundry bag and put it in the washing machine on the spin cycle. I think it was in an Emilie Barnes' book where I read this trick. She recommended doing all of your greens for the week, or at least a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Not sure if I'm up to turning on the washer for spinning out greens yet! But, good to know!

      Delete
  3. Same vein, the dishwasher makes a good baby/pet washing device. Put them both in at the same time to save water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Shaun? You had to go there? I should've known. Thanks for commenting, though!

      Delete
  4. I’ve heard good things about salad spinners, especially if you grow your own lettuce and don’t want watery dressing.

    With that noted... how about throwing it in a lingerie bag and whipping it around your head? (I may dry my breast pump parts this way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....do you leave water marks on your walls? Or do you step outside every time you need to dry pump parts/salad greens? According to my sister, you can stick it in the lingerie bag and put it on the spin cycle of the washing machine. I think I'll stick to my collapsible spinner for now. But, thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  5. Remember when we put laundry basketsful of spinach in the washer on the rinse and spin cycle in preparation for blanching and freezing??��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I was too young to have that event ingrained into my memory. Did that really happen? And frozen spinach....blech! Haha! I'd rather eat my spinach raw.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!