Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

5.26.2013

Colorado Bound, Episode V: The Finale

   After the Great Sand Dunes National Park, we headed even further southwest to Durango. It was here that we had to part with Gunther, as our activities in Durango were not pet friendly. So we put him up in a kennel for a night. The first day, we went whitewater rafting on the Lower Animas River. It was a beginners 2-hour raft trip. And it was very mild in my book, even though I have never been rafting. It was very cold, though, and I told Jason that we needed to wait until July or August before we do another, more advanced rafting trip. It was still fun, but unfortunately our camera is not waterproof, so we did not get any photos of this adventure.
   The next days adventure was to take the old steam engine train ride from Durango to Silverton. It was a lovely ride thru the mountains.


Heading out of the flatlands and into the mountains.


We followed this river most of the way, and for this part of the trip, it was directly below us.



We stopped 2 or 3 times for water.

Hanging out, watching the world go by!



Almost to Silverton.


Our steam engine.


When I get old and have lots of old snowboards about, I'm going to make benches out of them!

Taking the bus back down into Durango gave us a little bit different scenery to look at.

After Durango, we picked up Gunther and headed north to Vail. This was called Chimney Rock.

And I can't remember what this valley was called.

This scene looked way more amazing then in the photo. There was a huge storm cloud all around us, and then there was this break right over this mountain where the sun was shining. It was really pretty!

The last day of our vacation: driving the I-70 corridor and seeing all the ski resorts.

I hope you enjoyed our journey thru Colorado!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! So many beautiful pictures! The one of the train-man looking at the engine made me think it was James; I did a double take! It looks just like him in his bibs! Is Colorado Springs a very big place? Did you see the Focus On The Family campus, or whatever it would be called? Thanks for sharing your neat adventures! Can't wait for more! Love, Peewee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing all these pictures! I have to say, you uncover great scenic spots wherever you go. Maybe you should be a tour guide and host national or international tours! You will soon have been enough places to put together a trip. I'm glad you all had a nice vacation. You have my curiousity piqued to know what is in the Cave of the Winds! Let me know whenever you go back and go through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peewee, No, we didn't see the Focus On The Family place, although we saw signs on the interstate for it. I would've liked to visit it, but we ran out of time and it was in the opposite direction we were headed at that time.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!