Photo Disclaimer

All photos on "A Journey Thru Pictures" blog are property of the author. Please refrain from copying photos without permission. -Thank you.

12.15.2013

Queenstown, Tasmania

Coming down the west side of Cradle Mountain into Queenstown, there was an old Iron Blow.

This was an open cut copper ore mine, if I understand correctly.
The foreground of this picture is one of the walls of the Iron Blow. The Iron Blow is part of Mount Lyell and there was a town called Linda very close by. Linda is now a ghost town and I vaguely remember seeing it as we were driving down.


Thanks to Jul's nice camera, she was able to zoom in to get this photo. In the next photo, you will see this as just a little speck in the middle, left side of the picture.

There were supposed to be tours to see the Iron Blow, but I don't think they were open that day. We didn't get to go out on the catwalk or get any closer.

The views from the top of the Blow, however, were amazing!


I thought for sure that Queenstown was where Jul stalked a miner on his break, but according to the chronology of the photos, I am wrong. Guess I'll find out where that was when I come across that picture!

All of these photos are making me want to go drive around Tassie again!

2 comments:

  1. In reading more online about the Iron Blow Open Cut, in 1912, 42 men died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a fire that trapped over 50 men underground for over 100 days. Just a little bit of interesting history to go along with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and for the record I did NOT stalk any miner or minor on the whole trip! It is all false accusations!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments: thoughts, constructive criticism, response, etc. Thanks for sharing with me!